Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Losing interest?

It has been one thousand, one hundred and ninety-seven days since Stacey Burns was brutally attacked and murdered in her own home. That represents untold hours of sleepless nights, stress-filled days and crushing sadness for her family, friends and even acquaintances. Is it any wonder that recently I've heard the following sentiments expressed in different ways but basically the idea is the same?
"I want this to be over."
"I want this to have closure."
"I want this to be solved."
Even, in desperation, "I want this to go away."
My concern and one which I hope is not rooted in truth is that time is the enemy of justice. The search should not falter in the face of the reality of time and space. The energy of the "march for Stacey Burns" on May 10, 2012 needs to be always be replenished because time erodes energy, no matter how hard we try to sustain it. Certainly everyone would be relieved if the killer is found but the reality is that the urgency of three years ago has lost SOME of its momentum for SOME people.
The success of the attempt to keep the urgency alive through Murder in a Small Town: The Tragic Death of Stacey Burns depends on people talking to me so that I can tell the story accurately. For example, an entire chapter of the book is devoted to the alibis of each of the "persons of interest" but my information is based on second hand knowledge in one case in particular because the people involved will not speak with me. I repeat something I said in an earlier blog. If you want your story told, contact me and I'll be happy to include it.
I saw this quote somewhere and regret I can't come up with the original source but it is worth considering.
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple." What a great quotation but one that I believe is completely wrong. The truth is pure and it is simple. There is one person out there who knows the truth of what happened to Stacey Burns. That is the truth and it is pure and it is simple.
Duker

No comments:

Post a Comment