Friday, July 27, 2012

Police refused requests

Since beginning the research on Murder in a Small Town:  The Tragic Death of Stacey Burns, requests for information from the police have been rejected at every turn because of the "ongoing" investigation. Recently,  a newspaper editor told me to look for a First Amendment Coalition and I actually found one in the Boston area. I have heard they may be able to help me find a legal way of obtaining some of the police reports and I am hoping this is the case.
The book is now at a point where I need additional help to complete it (as far as I can go with it without an arrest) In Arizona, as I understand it, if a reporter or writer requests information but then is told that the investigation is ongoing, that person can ask how supplying that specific information would damage or compromise the investigation. I'm wondering if the same is true in New Hampshire? I hope to find that out and also will be making an official request in writing for some of the pertinent police reports, a request which is certain to be turned down..
The book is sixteen chapters, 43,000+ words and about 140+ pages long and now needs the fleshing out that the police reports and a few crucial people could supply. Of course, as mentioned, the conclusion remains out there somewhere.
I will be curious if the question about how my seeing those reports could jeopardize the investigation will be answered. Anyone out there who has a handle on freedom of the press?
Duker

No comments:

Post a Comment