Sunday, July 29, 2012

An Open Letter to Wolfeboro, N.H. Re; Stacey Burns

Dear Wolfeboro Citizenry:
Here is a crazy idea, right up there with the "Modest Proposal" of Jonathan Swift. (Oh, if only I could be as great a satirist as he was!)
While gathering information for Murder in a Small Town: The Tragic Death of Stacey Burns, I have found that virtually anyone I interviewed or anyone I heard about or anyone remotely interested in the case has an opinion about who killed Stacey Burns. Since the police could not possibly have interviewed (or interrogated) all of these people, I have a modest proposal of my own.
Why not have everyone, and I mean everyone, who believes that Ed Burns killed Stacey meet at a certain time and place and compare all their reasons for that belief? That group could appoint a secretary who could compile everyone's opinions along with facts which they certainly would have and then they could present their unbiased information to the cold case detectives in Concord.
This same process could be used for those who believe that Jim Vittum was responsible for Stacey's death.
It could also be used for those who believe that it was a third person of interest or a fourth or a fifth.
The result of this effort would surely place the New Hampshire State Police in the enviable position of having citizens directly involved in helping to solve this crime. All the detectives would have to do would be to sort out which group has the most compelling evidence. 
As mentioned in a previous blog, I've heard many times the exclamation that "I know who did it!" This plan would present a perfect opportunity to tell people of like mind exactly how you know that.   
Duker
  

1 comment: