Thursday, October 4, 2012

Proud? Believe it or not!

A few blogs ago, I mentioned that when I sent a portion of my manuscript of A Favor Returned  to Robert Newton Peck, an author I respected and had met at a conference in New Hampshire, he said, after a scathing, ego-deflating review, "write a book you can be proud of."
It has now been two full years since I traveled to New Hampshire to do the initial interviews for Murder in a Small Town: The Tragic Death of Stacey Burns. Since Robert Peck said that to me on more than one occasion, I've taken his advice to heart. It makes absolute sense for any writer (except perhaps James Patterson who apparently allows his name to be attached to anything these days).
If my book about the Stacey Burns murder ever makes it into print or even e-book status, I will be proud of it. Here is why:
1. I feel that I've done everything I possible could to include all sides of the story. The fact that some people have chosen to dismiss my efforts to be fair is a shame but I can deal with that.
2. The writing is good. Some who have read parts of it say that it is the best writing I've done.
3. My motive is clear and has been stated without equivocation: I will NOT profit from this book. The foundation for Stacey's children might if it ever achieves any status at all.
4. I've spent more  time, more effort and more of my own money than on any other of my writing projects. I am proud of that.
5. Just maybe, any efforts on my part have served to keep this case in the forefront for somebody, whether law enforcement, family, friends, community or even the killer.
To Rob Peck, I say this: I am proud of what I've done so far with this very difficult subject. I have no idea where it will end but hopefully Stacey's family will finally have some peace when it does end.
To those who might have something to add to this effort, please contact me. As of this moment, I am out of information. Look back through all of the blogs I've written and see the names of people who have chosen not to take part in my project. Please do not let this disappear into the abyss of the NH State Police cold case division!
duker

No comments:

Post a Comment